Adji

Samplitude (and General) Best Practise Install Tips

Hi guys, I've had several issues with Samplitude since purchasing Prox X3 recently which are all due to my own misunderstanding more than anything.

I think the time has come to format my C drive and restart. I've been through a couple of DAWs (Sonar and Mixbus 32c) in the last two years or so and files are all over the place and there is a lot of crap in there too.

I have read a couple of things on the forum I want to clarify:
Samplitude must be all installed in the C drive, including Vita instruments and Independence.

Is that correct? That would certainly explain a lot of my issues! I like to have core progammes in the C drive but all libraries and instruments on another SSD. Mainly for space reasons. Is it worth upgrading to a larger C drive and having all these core files, instruments and libraries in the same place?

VST folders. I've got so many folders, I've tried to tidy them up and actually it has caused a nightmare.

What is the best place to store VSTs (32 bit and 64 bit) for use in Samplitude?

Thanks for these answers and any other tips you may have.

I think C: drive is the only option with most of the install programs. You can use junctions after installing to move large content to another driver or partition, which you can read about on another thread i think.

I did a fresh Windows install for ProX3. If you're not already doing it, i recommend using a partition image program so you can make a nice tidy install that is easy to restore if things go wrong. Windows 7 and 10 has this built-in (Backup and Restore). 

Concerning VSTs I have created an own VST2 folder for Samplitude with subfolders like "Delay", "Distortion", "EQ", "Reverb", ... Then when I install any VST I link (or copy) the VST DLL in the matching subfolders. Like that you have your own nice VST menu in Samplitude after "VST FX" or "VSTi".

If you do the same thing with the VST3 plugins (I keep them still in the standard directory  C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3) and use the same subfolder names, then they are properly merged together in the VST menus.

The only drawback is that you must not forget to update the Samplitude VST folder after installing or removing a plugin, or if you have copied the DLLs (not linked).

You can install Samplitude in another drive. Even if this is an external hard drive.
You can have multi daws installed on your Samplitude drive, or in Windows drive. There is no conflict with that. If you have some conflicts the problem is probably on your operating system, not the daws.

You could have different folders for VST2 and VST3, but you should have all in the same place. Again...They dont need to be installed on the same drive of Samplitude.

On Samplitude VST Options you can choose where is your default VST folder, and search for other plugins folders. After that, all your plugins will be detected and loaded in the future.

I would not recommend to have the VST2 and VST3 plugins in the same folder though! That maybe alright for Samplitude, but for most other applications this will not work, because it is standard that the VST3 base folder is C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3. But it is possible to move the VST3 plugins into own subfolders.

2 hours ago, Wyoming said:

I would not recommend to have the VST2 and VST3 plugins in the same folder though! That maybe alright for Samplitude, but for most other applications this will not work, because it is standard that the VST3 base folder is C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3. But it is possible to move the VST3 plugins into own subfolders.

Yes, that is correct. When i sayd "... you should have all in the same place..." I meant all VST2 plugins in the same folder in VST3 in the same folder.