Northern-Mike

What settings for best results?

For us newbies running Windows 10 on laptop PC, what would best good settings to start with:  buffer size, sample rate and bitrate?  In my case I have AMD processor and 8GB of RAM.

Thanks

PS: I read an interesting article by a pretty top-end producer and he uses 48kHz/24 bit.  He has used this on some BIG albums by BIG artists.  He does a ton of work for TV now and still uses those settings??????

48kHz/24-bit is a noticeable improvement over 44.1kHz/16-bit and is becoming a new standard.

Many recording companies are recording in 96kHz/24-bit so as to at least have that to offer to the "Hi-Fi" enthusiasts via Tidal and such. The difference is not as easily discernible to the casual listener as above, but working that way offers the flexibility to offer such "high-resolution" files. Some engineers feel their effects plugins work better at 96kHz (though why is a mystery to me, since all modern plugins up-sample to that for processing anyway and crunch numbers as 32-bit floating decimal).

Buffer size will depend on the capabilities of your CPU and your audio interface. The lower the buffer rate, the more work the CPU has to perform to keep up with the real-time demands of audio work, taking such CPU processing away from plugins and virtual instruments, so you have to strike a compromise somewhere, generally speaking. I use buffers of 512 for recording and of 1024 for editing. There are some who strive to get the buffer as low as possible, especially for recording drum parts with other drum parts, where split-second precision is desirable.

You may want to increase your RAM at some point. More RAM allows more instrument plugins and effects plugins to run at once, and more audio tracks, plus improves the operation of everything involved. 16 gigs is a good starting place, with 32 being a sweet spot over which few report much additional noticeable benefit. That is not to say I wouldn't LIKE 64 gigs of RAM! :-)

Terry

I always used 48/24 but changed to 44/24 since getting the ProX3 bundle deal, because Sound Forge doesn't seem to like 48k. The funny thing is i don't even think i'll use Sound Forge, but hey i paid for it so... :)

Don't forget if you hit that wall, you can "freeze" tracks, or objects, even aux busses.
VSTi instruments as well, and those are the resource hogs, as well as reverb.

The biggest producer in the biz, as far as pop classical (Boccelli, Streisand, Groban, Il Volo

Celine Dion, etc.) has done 44/16 tracks for a long time (maybe he uses 24 bit now). He mixes

those tracks through a digitally controlled analog mixed, Euphonix.  I was a bit surprised, but 

some guys go with what works, and if you're from a certain era, resource management was a big issue.  Some or the older Apogees with lower bit rates sound better because the converters were so damn go, they had to be,  and I am sure whatever the converters - they're are all top drawer.