Kraznet

Samplitude Pro X3/Sequoia 14: "Tempo Smoothing" tutorial

"Tempo Smoothing" is the phrase I use when you take an audio track (or tracks) which wasn't recorded to click with a fluctuating tempo. I then tempo map it and ultimately "smooth" the tempo so it has a fixed BPM.
Samplitude doesn't have tempo smoothing implemented but I worked out a way to do it. Warning!! it isn't a one click solution and involves a few steps to achieve this. If you enjoy probing into the inner workings of Samplitude you may enjoy this. But if you're in a hurry this it's a longish video just over 14 minutes so you may find this is not for you. This technique needs Samplitude Pro X3 or Sequoia 14.

Regards, Kraznet

Wow, Soft Machine, saw them all the time in London in 1969, all the memories come flooding back so I haven`t seen to the end of the video yet.

Many thanks Greg

Brilliant!  Great video demonstration.  I usually only do manual tempo adjustment without using any TS/PS but this has me intrigued enough to give it another shot.  I have a song on my desk that unfortunately was tracked without a metronome, and I want to "knock it in line" - I'll try this method first.

Thanks Kraznet!

7 hours ago, gunmetal said:

Brilliant!  Great video demonstration.  I usually only do manual tempo adjustment without using any TS/PS but this has me intrigued enough to give it another shot.  I have a song on my desk that unfortunately was tracked without a metronome, and I want to "knock it in line" - I'll try this method first.

Thanks Kraznet!

+1

but I would prefer mix manual tempo adj. with TS/PS. If there's very little gap, I would not use TS/PS.

On 30/04/2018 at 9:31 AM, danishgreg said:

Wow, Soft Machine, saw them all the time in London in 1969, all the memories come flooding back so I haven`t seen to the end of the video yet.

Many thanks Greg

I'm a big fan of Soft Machine but I never saw them in their heyday although I had all the albums. I did see them  at Ronnie Scott's in 2015 but obviously with none of the original members but it was a great show. plus I saw them in another venue in London about 18 months ago which was very enjoyable as well.

Regards, Kraznet

I'm glad you found it useful guys. I've been using this technique recently on larger projects (10 tracks) and it works pretty well although it's not the fastest method. Hopefully MAGIX will implement something which is less complex. The main thing that seems to be missing is that Samplitude isn't capable of embedding the tempo information into the audio would then make it more straightforward.

Regards, Kraznet

I'm probably going to make a follow-up to this tutorial as I've discovered a couple of methods to speed up the workflow. Also I will be using multiple tracks.

Regards, Kraznet