Johnny Blade

Presswerk - The New Version Of AM-Munition

Browsing the Web, I found this plugin.

Interesting as it looks like AM-Munition! It has 2 channels/compressors, M/S Mode, channel link, soft clipping, threshold with auto make up gain (similar effect to the threshold of the AM-Munition in 'Master' section ), the metering graph with the clipping leds above, sidechain (see 'Int : Ext' knob), sidechain monitor, pre and post saturation (similar to the 2 stages of clipping in AM-Munition's 'expert' settings) and much much more: I downloaded the PDF manual and still other similarities are glimpsed!!!!!!

Has anyone noticed this before? For me, it's the AM-Munition, apparently updated in a new version and skin!!!

Almost everything is very familiar!  :blink:

uhe-presswerk-screenshot-fullui-825x567.jpg

Aha! That does feel like our former-resident-DSP-developer-now-working-at-U-he has been busy porting some of his greatest ideas! :-)

Cool!

Terry

5 hours ago, Johnny Blade said:

Who???  :mellow:

@Sascha Is/was the developer. I was thinking this a few weeks ago whether it was his new version of Ammunition.

Regards, Kraznet

Yes @Johnny Blade, feels familiar ... like I said in your AM-Phibia thread, Sascha makes great stuff at u-he now ... :)

...  and just because of you pointing this out i'm now also testing the Uhbik FX collection ..  damn it, I don't need more plugins ...:blink:

Best, Thomas

6 hours ago, TerryBritton said:

Aha! That does feel like our former-resident-DSP-developer-now-working-at-U-he has been busy porting some of his greatest ideas! :-)

Cool!

Terry

6 hours ago, Johnny Blade said:

Who???  :mellow:

1 hour ago, Kraznet said:

@Sascha Is/was the developer. I was thinking this a few weeks ago whether it was his new version of Ammunition.

Regards, Kraznet

Dear @Kraznet:

1 - Is "Int : Ext" knob in "Sidechain" a kind of "Mix" (processed / unprocessed signal) feature? In AM-Munition this knob is called "Source", isn't it?

2 - And what about "Level" (AM-Muniton's "Sidechain"): is it the VOLUME of sidechain?

I'm sorry for asking this and bother you.... I'm still trying  to tame AM-Munition...  :(

To make that clear, that was neither a port nor a succession of ideas. I hate repeating myself through projects, and it wouldn't do past work and people involved any favour.

While I did both plugins' DSP code (and - hehe - Sebastian made both UIs...), the two only share some features like M/S and external SC input, along with a central metering section, where I considered M/S important, and the centrical layout was quite obvious for Basti when we layed out the concept (he even did a 3D model of the virtual 'inside', as can be seen here). But looking more closely probably reveals important differences. Ammo is basically an opto comp in series with a limiter & dual-band saturator, which already is quite a strange combination, while Presswerk is more a compressor construction kit designed to mimic pretty much everything known from the hardware world. PW is more versatile, and its only 'signature sound' comes from the saturation section and optional phase rotator, while Ammo has more flavour right away, but is also more aggressive & up-front. You just can't substitute one for the other.

On 16/05/2018 at 9:55 AM, Johnny Blade said:

Dear @Kraznet:

1 - Is "Int : Ext" knob in "Sidechain" a kind of "Mix" (processed / unprocessed signal) feature? In AM-Munition this knob is called "Source", isn't it?

2 - And what about "Level" (AM-Muniton's "Sidechain"): is it the VOLUME of sidechain?

I'm sorry for asking this and bother you.... I'm still trying  to tame AM-Munition...  :(

It seems that Master Kraznet is very busy these days.

So... is there anyone that could answer my questions, please?

I know they can sound very basic, but not for me... the classic video tutorials do not cover my questions, perhaps because they presuppose previous knowledge, so I launched them here.

Thanks in advance!

10 hours ago, Sascha said:

To make that clear, that was neither a port nor a succession of ideas. I hate repeating myself through projects, and it wouldn't do past work and people involved any favour.

While I did both plugins' DSP code (and - hehe - Sebastian made both UIs...), the two only share some features like M/S and external SC input, along with a central metering section, where I considered M/S important, and the centrical layout was quite obvious for Basti when we layed out the concept (he even did a 3D model of the virtual 'inside', as can be seen here). But looking more closely probably reveals important differences. Ammo is basically an opto comp in series with a limiter & dual-band saturator, which already is quite a strange combination, while Presswerk is more a compressor construction kit designed to mimic pretty much everything known from the hardware world. PW is more versatile, and its only 'signature sound' comes from the saturation section and optional phase rotator, while Ammo has more flavour right away, but is also more aggressive & up-front. You just can't substitute one for the other.

Thanks for the update, Sascha - this new toy sounds VERY interesting! :-)

Terry

On 16.5.2018 at 2:55 PM, Johnny Blade said:

Dear @Kraznet:

The 'Int:Ext' control balances the incoming source that the detector circuit 'sees'. Turned fully to Int only takes the plugin's own signal into account, while Ext will make it only listen to the sidechain input you select in the plugin dialog's menu of possible external inputs.

'Level' is indeed that simple, it controls the external sidechain volume.

Hi @Johnny Blade

Have checked out this old Kraznet video on sidechaining in Samplitude? 

it includes using Am-munition. :)

All the best, Thomas

On 2018-05-16 at 2:55 PM, Johnny Blade said:

Dear @Kraznet:

15 hours ago, Johnny Blade said:

It seems that Master Kraznet is very busy these days.

So... is there anyone that could answer my questions, please?

I know they can sound very basic, but not for me... the classic video tutorials do not cover my questions, perhaps because they presuppose previous knowledge, so I launched them here.

Thanks in advance!

2 hours ago, Sascha said:

The 'Int:Ext' control balances the incoming source that the detector circuit 'sees'. Turned fully to Int only takes the plugin's own signal into account, while Ext will make it only listen to the sidechain input you select in the plugin dialog's menu of possible external inputs.

'Level' is indeed that simple, it controls the external sidechain volume.

On 16/05/2018 at 1:55 PM, Johnny Blade said:

Dear @Kraznet:

Sorry I didn't reply to your question I am somewhat busy at the moment. Although it looks like Sascha has replied anyway.

Regards, Kraznet

All Sascha's work is highly musical.  AM|Munition is my main mastering tool, I feel like it's my secret weapon - love it.  I got Presswerk as soon as it was available, great processor and highly recommended.