Hy Marc, 

could you explain a little bit more ? Do you want to practise during song playback ? Therefore you could use the loop function. Just drag a region with your mouse in the bar meter and activate the loop function.  Or is it more a technical question because you don't hear your lead guitar ? You could explain your setup a bit more (do you produce your guitar sound external or do you want to use an amp simulation plugin?)  Next to the record button you have the monitoring button (loudspeaker symbol)

kind regards

Markus

Hi Markus,

yes i want to practise during song playback, otherwise i always have to record, delete etc. but i wil try it out with the loop function .and let you know.

I'm recording my sound from an external amp, and i want to record only the disitortion sound without using effect so that i can add it later in the mix.

kind regards 

Marc

you might be better plugging the guitar DI to your interface,exactly the same as using an AmpSim, then send the DI signal to the amp added as an external effect .. this way you are in effect re-amping ... you can also use this method to also use the amp playing "live" .. the good bit is:-

your not committed to any hardware amp tone (change your mind later,cos only the DI signal is recorded)

its easier to edit clean DI tracks,find transients (for beat/tempo markers) than it is to edit tracks recorded with high gain

you can perfect your lead tracks,before sent to the amp (neighbours will be happier you use the amp for only 10 mins rather than all day)

you can use an amp sim at 3am,the recorded DI can be sent to the amp at any time ... or used in another studio

you can add effects to the return signal only (or on the send to the amp,if thats what you wanted at some point,maybe a compressor,noise gate )

recorded and perfected DI tracks can be disabled and hidden after you have re-amped,and always there if wanted later

problems:-

you need a multichannel interface (you cant do this easily on a 2 channel interface,although still possible,but creates extra steps)

at first it can be hard to setup,once you "get" the idea,its pretty easy to use in any daw

i have tested this is sam3,it works perfectly,i had no latency or phase problems (don't forget to use the delay compensation option) ...

The hints from HHFallback are great, there are tons of ways you may record your guitar and amp. You might also be interested in a silent speaker cab, wich you can hook up to your guitar amp or a loadbox you put between your amp and your cabinet. Or you can do a lot of things with external equipment like A/B switches to do reamping. The problem for me with reamping is that a different sound does create a different feeling when playing the guitar, so I like to hear the amp sound, therefore I need to split my guitar signal in to two paths, one is going into the Interface as DI Signal the other is going into my amp and the amp is recorded via microphone. If I want to tweak my amp sound but I like my playing I change the signal path and use the recorded DI Signal as Input for the amp. 

You can also do reamping with effects if you have some external effects.

Edit: If possible use closed back headphones, so you don't hear the monitor signal on your microphone, but I bet you already know that :)

Edited by Torkemada
new thoughts

@ Markus,  with the monitor button on, it works pretty good thx a lot.

@ HHFalback, yes that are also great hints, i try to keep that in mind for my new records in the future, the album i'm working on is already taken to far. and at this moment i still prefer my preamp sound than the amp sims in the DAW.  Also i thought once what if i combine ............ that something i have to find out in the future.

anyway guys, special thx for your support.

grts Marc

12 hours ago, pilyser.hermans@gmail.com said:

i still prefer my preamp sound than the amp sims in the DAW.  Also i thought once what if i combine ............ that something i have to find out in the future.

Pilyser is cool :)

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh,you like the same as me :)

i use the method i posted above,and have an isolation cabinet connected  (Box with a speaker in,soundproofing = ISO cab) .. i also take a feed from the send of the amp (send on amp = pre-amp out) and send this to Kefir (an Impulse loader plug = IR loader) in the daw ... i  can mix in the sound of the 2 mics also .. if wanted

i also use another 2 stand alone valve pre-amps,and send those to Kefir on other channels (this is totally silent in the room)

the switching to pre-amps or big amp (with ISO box) is done in the daw ... (you are able to pick which multichannel hardware outputs you want to use)

there are problems you will come across using this method,but you *are* recording the DI,so can change at will later ...

oh! just in case anyone reads this and doesn't know, NEVER run a valve amp without a load = KA-BOOM!!!

i say Kifir cos that's the IR loader i had the least trouble with