Equalizer

Are sales usually in September?

Hi!  I just got into Pro X3 Suite via a re-sale.  I was so sure I saw the upgrade to X4 Suite was on sale for $119 or something like that until July 12th or 18th?  But now it says $149.  Am I imagining there was a lower price just a couple of days ago? :)

Also, X4 came out last fall, right - so I am guessing, X5 will be out in 4 months or so?  So maybe it's better to wait for that to upgrade (or at least the pre-release sale on X4 upgrade, including X5, like Magix usually likes to do?).

Hopefully I can still use X3 in the meantime, unless the installers are no longer available.

3 hours ago, Equalizer said:

... so I am guessing, X5 will be out in 4 months or so?...

X5? Let's hope not!
X3 wasn't finished when X4 was released and X4 doesn't work properly so let's hope they fix either of these before selling us something new.

H, well, judging from Acid Pro 8 vs 9, that is par for the course, is it not?  (major versions are like minor point releases on other software)

I guess I was imagining that I saw a sale then?  Do you think it's better to just play with X3 until X5 comes out?  X4 really didn't change much, right?  Only thing is, when I demo'ed X4, the GUI looked ok.  Doesn't one need to buy Birdline for X3 to make it looks good?  Seller didn't mention Birdline pack so I am not sure what happened, even though it was always included in X3 suite, wasn't it...

11 hours ago, Equalizer said:

H, well, judging from Acid Pro 8 vs 9, that is par for the course, is it not?  (major versions are like minor point releases on other software)

No. Major versions are paid. Bug fixes are free and sometimes represent a major change or an important feature.

...I guess I was imagining that I saw a sale then? 

Sorry. Can't confirm.

Do you think it's better to just play with X3 until X5 comes out? 

X3 is stable in every system (it appears) although it's not bug free. Some are programming bugs, others are system related or operator induced. Even so, it's a pretty stable version of Samplitude.

X4 really didn't change much, right? 

It did change several important details, it added a few interesting features (some have disturbed a few users who prefer not to see any changes, ever) but in all, if it were bug free, i'd opt for X4 instead of X3.
Most new features are improvements.
Problem is it doesn't apply Latency Compensation so you can't do overdubs (for the time being)

Doesn't one need to buy Birdline for X3 to make it looks good? 

No.

Interesting feedback, thanks!  By the way I think you misinterpreted my wisecrack... I know major versions are paid (and for most Magix stuff, costs almost the same as a new version, hehe), my point was, the major versions are really what one would expect for the pricing of the major version upgrades, to be small stepping stone minor upgrades... like Live 10.1 just came out - Magix would release that as Live 11.0 and charge $299 isntead of it being a free point upgrade! :)

Well, I guess I will have to get the X3 installer sometime and try that.  Shame they can't make it good enough that it should be obvious I would want to upgrade right away to X4!  Thanks for your other insights.  (not needing Birdline to keep me from going blind, etc. :) )

16 minutes ago, Equalizer said:

Interesting feedback, thanks!  By the way I think you misinterpreted my wisecrack...

...like Live 10.1 just came out - Magix would release that as Live 11.0 and charge $299 isntead of it being a free point upgrade! :)

Exactly why i said: " X5? Let's hope not! " :P

X4 was released before all the bugs in X3 were fixed.
X4 appeared with some new features and a whole new set of bugs.
And now, as usual, people start "calling" for a new version (X5) expecting it to be the "fix-all" of all versions.
It won't.
X5 will come out before all X4 bugs are fixed.
That's the way it has been and the way it will be.
Even so, it's still too soon to release X5 but it's about time for the "latency compensation" issue to be fixed in X4.

It is disappointing to hear that X4 has a latency compensation issue!  I just upgraded to X4 actually... I don't think it's a real sale, but I see my confusion - last time, I don't think it showed the red text "until July 14th", but this time it did (and it did the first time I looked at the upgrade) - but the price is still $149.  (instead of $599?  surely an UPGRADE never costs $599, literally the same price as a new license?! :) )

After some research, I realized that X3 was current for more than a year when it was the latest, so maybe/hopefully Samplitude is not on the same ridiculous "NEW version every year no matter what" schedule that most other Magix products are on.  (including Acid Pro 8, now 9 - shame on me for not seeing THAT one coming... only bought it for fun, was sure it would be a few years before they dared to charge another major version, but nope, not even one year after... and no grace period even though I bought it just 3 months before version 9)  So I am right with you, I surely hope there is no X5 on the horizon.

Ah well.  I guess now I can still download X3 if I wanted... but I guess I'll put up with bugs of X4 as I try using it for some real projects.  Thanks again for your feedback and camaraderie in these "trying" times.  :)

No, Magix is a serious company with lots of history. They won't release a new version every year.
Still, regarding version stability, X3 is you best bet for the moment but mainly because some of the bugs in X4 are a "no-go" for multitrack recording.
If you're composing in "one pass" or Mixing, X4 is the way to go.
If you buy X3 and then compare with the new features in X4, you'll want X4 too.

Maybe wait for the version update in X4 and see if the major bugs are solved. It's now on 15.1.1.236 and that is the "faulty" version, sync wise.

No need to thank, it's always nice to engage in pleasant conversation on the web.
Reminds me of "Ham" radio! ^_^

Yes, indeed!  Sometimes these various forums keep me sane to a degree!

For Samplitude, they don't do it every year - but for products like Sound Forge and Vegas (and now Acid), they do, or it sure seems like they do... Vegas was a new version last fall, and now already they are making a sale for upcoming new version 17.  It's like when companies like Corel have the year number as part of the name - "Painter 2016/2017/2018/etc".  I guess it's good Samplitude has not been put on this forced schedule yet (although it appears the major updates are still forced even if not every year, from the bugs you mentioned!)

Your feedback is very useful though, because actually, yes, I will be only doing one track at a time, or mixing.  So the big bad bug is only for multi-track recording?  That's good to know!  Makes me happier I decided to upgrade now after all. :)  For some reason I am really looking forward to doing some creative editing and mixing with the object-based effects.  Even though Cubase has similar with Direct Offline Process (non-destructive, although it's not realtime, has to render the effects first), it does seem very nice and smooth.  The other thing which for some reason really grabbed me was that drawing automation directly on the tracks, not even in the lanes, just felt very smooth... like something I would like to do more often.  Whereas drawing in other DAWs usually yields too many data points, etc.

Funny thing is I decided to try the demo of DP10 to see how it looked, as I haven't touched it since DP 5 or 6 (I was on Mac then, PC now)... it's still the same... grandiose in features, but very hard to look at!  ESPECIALLY on PC - kudos to them for porting it and all, but it feels like a ported application... Dragging dividers to resize areas, the content area flickers horribly, interface text is so small to read.  (yeah you can resize, but everything gets bigger or smaller, so to get the text legible, your other areas are similar as if you are at 800x600 resolution!)  I know it has some very powerful features like pre-rendering/freezing tracks all the time in the background, and can manage multiple-hour projects which is why film people like it, but eck - Cubase, and ESPECIALLY Samplitude, just feel like you're on the bare metal of the computer, as it were, instead of fly-by-wire/remote!

Yep,  overall software hopping has to stop for a complete project realisation. The audio features of seqoia/Samplitude combined with a state of art MIDI department would be a game changer regarding the audio capabilities in other DAWs IMHO.

Software hopping is a waste of time, try some demos, decide, study the manual, functions, and master to use it.

Working with X3

I know. came a long way. The forum has something to it as well here.

I think software hopping is still useful for certain roles though.  I recently did another hop around to Live 10 and it's re-invigorated me for composition!  Then in Studio One, being able to click-drag on the sections in the arranger track and just duplicate/re-arrange with no fear of messing up automation and other time linear stuff, still seems unique to me.  (and chord track - both of those seem easier to use than in Cubase)

I haven't spent time yet in Samplitude, but I know the object effects can be very useful creatively.  Maybe sometimes I throw a delay on a whole track and am too lazy to automate it - this way of working would reinforce being selective with such effects over the timeline.

I do agree overall though, it is more efficient to just work with one thing if possible.  I think it's harder these days since any exposure to the Internet makes it all too easy to see what you might be "missing" from other software packages!  Unlike the old days when you spent $500+ for a paper box and of course would believe in what you bought. :)

yep, the wisdom lies in the accceptance of restrictions in any DAW, but I personally would loose some old demons in retrospect, I guess.

My approach is the overall audio structure in Seq/Samp to consider it, checking and approving the MIDI department a bit.

Of course, some hop for inspiration is great, not losing the overall thread of getting it done quick and finally. At least I think more native engine days, they are acoming.

I worked in Cakewalk, early version, like 20 years ago, then moved through Pro-Tools, Logic, Ardour, Digital Performer (my favorite for years) and a year ago I started using Samplitude. I am a bit torn between Digital Performer and Samplitude, both are great, very different workflows. I'd like to have Digix Performitude :D

33 minutes ago, tdor said:

I worked in Cakewalk, early version, like 20 years ago, then moved through Pro-Tools, Logic, Ardour, Digital Performer (my favorite for years) and a year ago I started using Samplitude. I am a bit torn between Digital Performer and Samplitude, both are great, very different workflows. I'd like to have Digix Performitude :D

Ah yes - Digix Performitude, Stubase Livewig edition, please! :)  (I also used to use Cakewalk when it was Twelve Tone back then... along with SAW Studio...)

Samplitude X5

SamX5.thumb.jpg.2635c93f8ac9e50d7cec823782a21ef3.jpg

This would be tremendously helpful: The option to compare and edit midi notes parallel. The current midi editor is a pain in the brain for composition and orchestration. At least we got a score editor.

Cool idea and beautiful collage, indeed.

how to sync machines, running different software? Audio Streaming with AVB, whole thing just needs synchronisation via a clock, not sure if AVB carries a clock signal.

1 Ethernet cable, bupp. getting best out of fav´d DAWs

getting best of both worlds is possible though

On 8/16/2019 at 11:54 PM, tdor said:

Samplitude X5

SamX5.thumb.jpg.2635c93f8ac9e50d7cec823782a21ef3.jpg

This would be tremendously helpful: The option to compare and edit midi notes parallel. The current midi editor is a pain in the brain for composition and orchestration. At least we got a score editor.

As someone mostly into in MIDI Composition/Orchestration - I severely regret not taking part in the mad rush during the Cubase Pro sale Steinberg had.  I do have an iMac on hand, so I might try Logic Pro X.  It's cheap enough that I can gamble with it, and DAWs aren't as heavy on the system as NLEs...  The Score Editor in Logic Pro X looks pretty nice (from what I've seen).

Honestly, the BIGGEST problem I have with Samplitude (X4) is how sluggish the UI feels when I loaded any Project/VIP.  It feels like the UI is not GPU Accelerated (like the CPU is doing all of the GUI rendering)…  It feels like an issue with the UI Framework or code they use.  I'm wondering if it's still using legacy Windows APIs (i.e. the stuff Windows Forms was based on - not saying it's a Windows Forms app :-P )...

Every Windows system is different, left alone the hardware we all use. Thus, there are many factors contributing to some "sluggish" behavior of X4, or any of your programs. You may need to optimize Windows for Audio Production, likely if you have an older PC.

Check on your graphic card first, do you use NVIDIA or AMD? If it is NVIDIA, that could be the culprit in combination with X4. Not nvidia in general, but maybe your specific model. If you have an AMD card, the problem might be somewhere else. Same is true for ITG, many users he reported best results with integrated graphics. I use ITG combined with AMD to drive three screens, no issues. I had issues with an nvidia card, latency, and occasionally sluggish graphics, but not only in Samplitude.

If you want a good score editor, have a look at MuseScore, export from Samplitude using xml.

BTW: My X5 "screenshot" is a montage of Digital Performer and Samplitude

On 7/10/2019 at 8:10 AM, resolectric said:

No, Magix is a serious company with lots of history. They won't release a new version every year.
Still, regarding version stability, X3 is you best bet for the moment but mainly because some of the bugs in X4 are a "no-go" for multitrack recording.
If you're composing in "one pass" or Mixing, X4 is the way to go.
If you buy X3 and then compare with the new features in X4, you'll want X4 too.

Maybe wait for the version update in X4 and see if the major bugs are solved. It's now on 15.1.1.236 and that is the "faulty" version, sync wise.

No need to thank, it's always nice to engage in pleasant conversation on the web.
Reminds me of "Ham" radio! ^_^

Well, Yes.
One of the features that attracted me to Samplitude/Sequoia is their long trajectory, and so that similarly to Ableton Live, each version is supported for several years.
Meaning the company is committed to them for the long term, more so being their flagship product.

As we all know, when a new version is released, all previous ones are instantly transformed into unsupported legacy software.  Something that wouldn´t matter really if most important bugs were solved by the time a new/feature updated version will be announced (thus when pre-sale offers are launched). After all, we are in Windows environment where drivers compatibility have remained relatively stable since W10.

So, Mr tdor,  with due respect; sure there exist new features desire and needs out there. However they have  to be tempered with stability, promised features and functionality completion.
That is why these products have known cycles. If this known upgrade time lapse becomes shorted, there is a loss for those that invested with that in mind.
It would be expected that this cycle is also known at this newcomer forum.

2 hours ago, Cielspacing said:

So, Mr tdor,  with due respect; sure there exist new features desire and needs out there. However they have  to be tempered with stability, promised features and functionality completion.

What is this in reference to? desire, needs, cycles, I didn't post anything related to this :huh:

Please read my post as some general advice, it's not Magix' fault that nvidia releases every once in a while crap products/and drivers, and they do. Further, nvidia licenses their design to different manufacturers, YMMV. Samplitude's GUI sure should arrive in the 21st century. Until then, make it work for you.

EVEN MUCH MORE IMPORTANT, 15.1.1.236  is not the latest version - it's Build 387 now :excl: it has been praised by many users here.

Further, for all who use X3, tech support informed me that there will be an update as well.

Cielspacing,

if you have a closer look at the functionality of samplitude the overall approach is pretty advanced audio-wise. Built in spectral cleaning and mighty Object Editor with on track functionality (no export, nor additional tracks etc) is deep, when you meditate over it. You need to find some other workflows as we all know some of this or some of that DAW and compare our experience. 

e.g. I am new to the MIDI Department in Samplitude, starting out with lot of questions. I can say that a helpful mix of community, trial and error and RTFM lead to intended results. I am observing myself falling into clicheé thinking of switching to the more spread or officially "common" DAWs in the Industry (whatever that is).

one good thing is getting quick assistance here by experienced users, who do a lot. Take the time and dig in a bit. I am personally aiming @ using a dedicated and respected mastering software multitrack- and MIDI-wise, not to bad for me...At least we all meet at the mix, if you take part in the whole process.

You might try switching over slightly or checking things out, take time. You could try combining "your" DAW and Samplitude with rewire (one machine) or MTC (two machines) etc. keeping the flow.

Remember the MIDEX era? Wonderful ( + cpu distribution)

Amen

BX