byxx

Buffer size and improvisation

Dear Community,

For improvisation with a software Piano (Native Instruments), it is a good idea to have a live feel, when playing. How to achieve this in Sequoia with a large MIDI/Audio project with several tracks that needs a high buffer to be played back correctly?

THX

BX

I play typically at 512. Usually, my mixes playback with adequately low latency at that buffer setting. If not, I make a bounce-down temp mix, mute all the other tracks and add the piano (or other instrument) while listening to the bounced version. This takes a huge load off the CPU and lets you turn your buffer way, way down if you need to. Then turn the buffers back up when going with all MIDI VSTi tracks again.

You can also freeze a ton of tracks, but I find the quick temp-bounce technique to be much faster.

Terry

Dear Terry,

so muting in Sequoia helps freeing CPU. THere are some check boxes in the advanced settings to be ticked, right?

Sure, the single Freeze is a bit increative. So How´s that  quick temp bounce work?

I assume, you don´t reimport a stereo bounce with this trick? At least it could contain all the rhythm sections instruments for the groove. This way it would not be necessary to everytime update the temp track to all instruments.

For further playback updating the project ,  would you think about creating audio stems (guitars, strings, percussion, winds) and let them run instead the single real  time processed MIDI origins?

Just let me know about the muting settings in Sequoia to free CPU, when active. I made the experience that if you bypass VSTs, cpu is freed, too. But you have to do this manually, right?

I have seen, that you can create folders in Samp. I will check if you can use a overall mute from the folder track. Would be nice to switch off several instruments with one click. The track manager can provide several mutes also with check boxes, as I recall.

THX

BX

I just make a simple bounce, or mix-to-file if I feel like it. I have it placed in to the same VIP project as a new track, then play along with it with the other tracks muted. Or you could do it into a fresh VIP and export the stem of your playing to import into the master.

I freeze a lot if using Samplitude as a composing tool, but I must admit to you that I seldom compose in Samplitude. For me it is my mixing and mastering tool.

Freeze is not inelegant by any stretch of the imagination, it is simply that for this particular application where I will need all audio files (and the audio engine slider likely switched to the far left to get the lowest latency I can) and a very low buffer setting for that segment alone, then bouncing is how I do it.

Terry

Terry

In my oppinion the MIDI is not too bad in Samp, what I am figuring out a bit at the moment for the composing side. I try to avoid much trafficking of audio material forth and back between DAWs

I have my hard times on the CCs a bit at the moment in Samplitude when overwriting the first recording with a cc controller correctional recording. It jumps to the old values here and there.

At least, when a MIDI Track or portions of it are done I like the object freeze. It forces the composer/producer to make fast decisions and leave it done with trying to not reviewing everything you did. I think this is one clue to get things done, while you bring it to audio in one click, rather than moving files between DAWs and placing them to the right spots in the grid and such...

In my view it keeps the whole project liquid and flexible for overall small changes over time as the moves on the desk get smaller, plus you can edit a MIDI note any time. At least I try to figure out both worlds in the MAGIX world.

Best regards

BX

have you looked at economy tracks? .. they use Sams larger secondary audio buffer to pre-compile effects ... takes strain off the main ASIO buffer,then freeze tracks that cant be made economy :)

5 hours ago, HHfallback said:

have you looked at economy tracks? .. they use Sams larger secondary audio buffer to pre-compile effects ... takes strain off the main ASIO buffer,then freeze tracks that cant be made economy :)

I've been a bit of a Luddite with that feature!

No, I haven't - and it is time I did give them a try! :-)

(I have to get over my childhood conditioning that made me relate "economy" with "cheap"!)

Terry

hey Terry :)

thicko me forgot to mention that FX use a lot of cpu .. so freezing just the FX and buss channels (on tracks your currently not using "live" - i.e not the Native Instruments piano your actively playing) can save a lot of cpu (maybe try that first when you  hit a ceiling?)

Dear HHFallback,

will try, too. Have to dig in the economy tracks first. All channels have to be economy then or the live-feel-recording one only?

So: Thanks!!

Best

BX

tracks  not "live" can be set to economy (some cannot be  economy - but sam will tell you this = freeze these if needed)

your live track (the one your playing into) use with no changes ...

Sam has (kinda) 2 audio engines ...

1 the "normal" ASIO of other daws (fast,for real time low latency)

2nd the higher buffer setting secondary (slower,larger buffer)

when you set track economy,the track will use secondary engine to pre-calculate effects ... lets say secondary calculates FX 4 seconds in advance

this means the "normal" ASIO buffer is under less load (cos the fx have been calculated 4 seconds already,then "normal" ASIO only has to process the output of secondary,not the whole chain)

so,if you have a very fast cpu .. then it will out-run the ASIO driver engine (give to much data to ASIO driver,while showing little CPU usage) .. Sam having 2 audio engines means you can use unused CPU cycles to pre-calculate track chains - while maintaining low latency

freezing tracks is no doubt best to free up CPU .. but sometimes is not necessary :) (depends on project ... but is good Sam has many options for control)

Dear HHfallback,

lots of good infos. Will try. Sounds good for the live feel approach in bigger compositional projects.

Thank you very much

Best regards

BX

I checked a bit on economy tracks. At first sight, there is no cpu reduction, when I set some virtual instrument tracks to track type "economy". Maybe there are some settings to consider to reduce the load cpu with involving economy tracks

THX

BX