byxx

SEQ15 - CC curves back into object automation

Dear Community,

how to get the edited automation curves from the automation lanes (lets say CC11 - Expression) back to the object automation, once extracted from there?

THX

Best

BX

• You will need a plugin that allows real VST MIDI out, by default this option is always shown, for any VSTi, but that does not mean that it works. I used for this test MIDIChFilter from CodeFN42 https://www.codefn42.com/midichfilter/index.html
  • In your track to be converted (source), plug in MIDIChFilter, in the plugin menu enable VST MIDI out (top, provided by our DAW)
  • Create a target track, MIDI, enable VST MIDI out - Recording. In the header of the mixer, or in the track header MIDI in select menu.
  • Enable recording on your target track, hit recording in transport. It should record your source MIDI Track, real time. And voilà! There is your conversion.

Sounds more complicated than it is, if there is a better way please post!

Cheers,
Thomas

THX for your in depth experience, Thomas.

So, it is necessary to loop back MID signals in Real Time. I think that it is questionable for a quick process in writing.

For me - as far as I figured it out yet- there are two chances for a workaround:

1) Keeping the recorded midi controller (CC) inside the object editor and "repair" the interferenced overdubs with manual drawing, (to stay inside the object realm and be flexible with moving it or copyPaste editing.)

2) Export to the more convenient editing capabilities of the automation lanes for more subtile changes and additional hardware controller overdubs (here you can use the latch mode in the automation lane) . The compromising takes place where you have to connect the object with the autolanes. You really need to have an eye on the syncing of MIDI Notes and its parallel running curves when you copyPaste or move individual portions of the MIDI clips. (as you cannot "really" copy the lanes information to the object in a quick manner, respecting the idea of the workaround of a loopback in real time, of course)

So:

Would you see some dangers in Version 2) for greater orchestration projects to be hidden. As I figured out, you can copyPaste or move the MIDI clips keeping the lane automation synchronized.

THX again!!

BX

Either method works fine, it's really a matter of routine and an eye for detail. I haven't used the curve mode much, it seems indeed more convenient than working in the midi editor.

On another level, doing all this with a mouse seems so totally yesterday. I am considering to buy a drawing table (Grafiktablett) for drawing automation curves. Have not tried it yet, but I don't see why this should not work really well.

Cheers,
Thomas

Dear Tdor,

yep, although the hardware controller has its real time advantages for me being fast with it over the years. Play and CC11- Expression should be at 90% okay after the first run, then the drawing board indeed is a cool idea. Great!

I read the whole automation section in the manual and watched some of kraznets automation videos. There is one point I am stuck on a bit:

. How would you switch to track automation, so that the lanes are written with midi controller data?

At the moment my hardware controller is written to the object automation, not to the track. I can´t see where to switch that behaviour. It might be important to avoid the interference of the real time data by writing the overdubs to the lanes rather than to the objects.

At least to try it. I would also like to avoid the deleting process of the objects automation curves. They would  have to be selected very carefully by the way with the mouse.

`Seems to me,  that there are some tricks to get it really flowing, so to speak :-)

THX

BX

Hey BX,

Howdy howdy how did you manage to use an external midi controller to write any automation curves that appear as object automation? Let’s say CC11 does not appear in the midi editor but as CC11 auto curve layered over an object. Is that what you are saying?

I don’t see how this works, I am using Samplitude X3, what parameters do you set in your Hardware Controller preferences? What do you choose from the Function Drop Down Menu?

I thought what you expect what this software can do is simply not there, but I wonder if we are looking at the same thing.

Please post a screenshot that shows your auto curves and your settings in the Hardware Controller.

Cheers,
Thomas

Dear Tdor,

Thx for your reply

I can´t tell at least, how I managed to write data into the object automation (midi editor), it´s default behaviour so far as it seems . Important to say: I check out the MIDI functionality, which is pretty new to me in Seq/Samp. You see the results of a external hardware controller (set tp CC11) in the attached pic. It is written with a M-Audio Keyboard with assignable pots/knobs.

I personally would like to  find a chance to choose whether the hardware controller data is written into

a) the track automation

OR

b) object editor (midi editor) automation.

No clue yet.

I have set up  a MIDI monitor software (MIDI OX) which reacts on the pot´s/knob´s moves as it should, showing some changing CC11 values, when moving.  That is pretty working from that side, IMHO. You see a bit of artefacts in the overdubbing spots of the curve... (middle block of the picture)

Can you assign the software-slider in the "Automation" area (track information area -left side) to a hardware controller? ( s. pic below)

THX!!

Best

BX

image.png.b4245c4290f75ef8df098f433341fa31.png

image.thumb.png.b47061a8a03df802342a3c8cb0df0b45.png